We're interested to know why home owners in Welwyn Hatfield have properties that are empty. If you own an empty property in the borough, please provide your valuable feedback by taking our empty homes survey.

Advice for tenants - you and your landlord

If you are experiencing problems with your landlord, for example outstanding repair works, security, Gas, electric safety issues, then please contact the council.

Cartoon House 2

If you are a private tenant and are experiencing problems with you landlord, then please contact us or download our information fact sheet pdf icon Top tips for tenants [280KB].

Below is a list of common problems within privately rented homes.   If your house is a council house, please contact The Housing Trust.

I need repairs done to my rented home, what do I do?

You should write to your Landlord with the nature of your complaint , they are obliged to make a reasonable response within 14 days. If they don't, we can take steps to make them carry out their responsibilities. Each situation has to be considered on its own merits, but the sort of areas where we can take action are when health and safety is affected. You can ask your landlord to see copies of the Gas Safe Record and Electrical Installation Report for your home.

What do I do if my house has damp and mould?

Damp and Mould growth is caused by a combination of insufficient heating, ventilation and thermal insulation.  It will be your landlord/managing agent's responsibility to check for any defects to the property and undertake any works if required. Generally, we find that the occurrence of condensation and mould growth is a result of normal day to day living and not a defect with the property, please read our Fact Sheet  pdf icon Damp and mould [3MB] for advice or how to treat it.

How do the council assess for Health and Safety issues during an inspection?

All properties, including HMOs, can be assessed under the HHSRS. This provides a system of assessing the Health and Safety of residential premises.  There are a list of 29 hazards that can be taken into consideration including: damp and mould, excess cold, falls on stairs, and inadequate security measures.

Does my landlord have to protect my deposit?

Landlords are required by law to protect deposits with a Government Authorised Scheme. This will help you safeguard your money and also offers an independent adjudication service in the event of a dispute. Within 30 days you must be provided with information telling you how your money is being protected, if you do not receive this, then we would advise you to speak to your landlord first. For more information go to the Gov.uk website Tenancy Deposit Protection

I have been told to leave my home, what are my rights?

You have different rights depending upon your situation and so it is best to talk to us as soon as possible. Please contact our Housing Allocations Team for further advice.

I live in a house of multiple occupation (HMO) are the rules different?

Your landlord will need to ensure that the property complies with the HMO management Regulations 2006.Click here for more information on HMOs.

Can my landlord come into my home at any time?

If there are urgent works that are required, i.e. leaking pipes, gas leaks, blocked drains, then yes. If its general repair work, or to carry out an inspection, your landlord should give you at least 24 hours notice or the period of notice set out in your tenancy agreement.

If you feel you are being harassed by your landlord, then please seek advice from the Housing Allocations Team.

Powered by GOSS iCM